Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Late to the Party: Portal

I don't have a lot of money to spend on games. Real life is constantly rearing it's ugly head and I'm forced to spend my hard earned cash on stuff like food, clothing, gas . . . . boring stuff. That being said, I often don't get around to playing games right when they come out, with very few exceptions (I'll occasionally pre-order a 1st party Nintendo game or Square-Enix game . . also, I would get WoW expansions the day they came out when I was still playing WoW). All that to say I just played the original Portal.

I had heard a lot about this game, seen the internet memes that sprung up around it (which seem even less funny now that I've played the game, especially the cake ones) but the thing that kept coming up was that this was an amazing, but short, game. I can vouch for that. I enjoyed my time start to finish, minus a few times when I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to get where I needed to go. The game does a great job of leading you on without holding your hand. It slowly introduces all that you can do with the portal gun and then doesn't overstay its welcome, leaving you wanting more.

The humor in the game was spot on and I laughed out loud a few times. Humor in a video game is tough to nail because of all the repetition that the player experiences in retrying certain areas, but the humorous dialogue seemed to happen mostly in spots where you'd only hear the same line once. The exception being the ending (which I had to try a few times) but since most of that dialogue is gold, and is so dense (sometimes overlapping) I was actually GLaD when I had to repeat it so I could pick up on some that I missed.

All in all, I enjoyed this game start to finish and I am happy I finally got to play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment