Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Book Review: The Amber Ring by A.L. Walton

If you have been following my journey through the lower echelon of the Kindle store, the review today is for the best book I've read so far . . . and it's free!  Here is my review of The Amber Ring by A.L. Walton:

What I Thought
Once I had adjusted to the setting (modern day when, for some reason I had assumed it was medieval-ish), I thoroughly enjoyed this novella.  It tells the story of Maya, a girl whose twin sister was the hero of a fairy tale land, but, after her adventure was over, accidentally drowned.  I really don't want to discuss more of the plot so as to not give away any of the twists and turns the story takes, but suffice it to say, many of them took me off guard (in a good way).

The book is well written and the characters, especially Maya and Camden, are well fleshed out.  The supporting cast is a mix of tropes and subverted tropes that are used to great affect in creating a vibrant world for the main characters to navigate.  Most importantly of all, the fantasy elements are constructed in a way that makes sense.  I didn't once find myself thinking "wait, if that could happen, why couldn't this happen?"  It's fantastical, but it follows its own logic and the fewer questions I have that distract from the narrative the better.

Should You Buy It?
Buy this book.  It's free, it's relatively short (though not too short as to be unsatisfying), and it's a good read.  The only complaint I have is that the author hasn't written any other books yet.  When he does, I'll read them.

If anyone follows my advice and ends up reading this book, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.  Post them in the comments or hit me up on twitter @LukeAndreen

No comments:

Post a Comment